Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Carrying the Cross - A Sketch

I recently wrote this sketch for an event based on Jesus' discipleship call to carry the cross - but we ran out of time and it never got used!   The sketch looks at what happens when a Christian feels uncomfortable when they are carrying the cross - literally in this case!

Scene:  Two men at bus-stop waiting for a bus.  One man is holding something quite large….

Man 1:  Bus late again!

Man 2:  Yeah, third time this week, ridiculous.

Man 1:  I’m going to start walking if it doesn’t turn up soon….

Both men wait impatiently, check their watches, look at the sky…bored.  Man 1 looks at Man 2 and looks up, noticing the object that he appears to be carrying.  Decides to pass the time and enquire…

Man 1:  Hope you don’t mind me asking…but…what’s that thing you’ve got there?

Man 2:  I’m sorry….?

Man 1: What’s that…you know, that thing you’re carrying?

Man 2:  I’m sorry, I don’t think I’m following you…what thing?

Man 1: Err…that great piece of wood you’ve got in your hand…looks about 8 foot tall and 4 feet wide…(looks baffled)

Man 2:  (pretends to be surprised) Oh…oh...of course…THAT!  Oh…erm..well..ahem…it’s a big piece of wood..

Man 1:  Err..yes, I can see that, but why are you carrying it?  You’re not expecting to get it on the bus are you – it’s miles too big.

Man 2:  Yeah, it can be a bit inconvenient at times but it seems to be able to fit just about anywhere really…with a bit of effort…

Man 1in:  That I’d love to see…but… why are you carrying it?

Man 2: Well…err…someone asked me to carry it actually… (seems embarrassed)

Man 1:  Really?

Man 2:  Yes, an…errr…friend of mine as a matter of fact.

Man 1:  Oh, so you’re helping him out then?

Man 2:  Well,…err…not exactly, he’s helping me I suppose…it’s…err.. a bit difficult to explain…

Man 1:  You can say that again…so he is local, your mate?

Man 2: Well…yes and no….he’s not been here for quite a while as a matter of fact. But he’ll be coming back very soon, I’m sure.

Man 1: All sounds very odd….got a name, this mate of yours by any chance…?

Man 2:  Well, he’s got a few nicknames…I…err..call him “JC”…

Man 1:  Never heard of him…so, tell me then…what does this piece of wood do..what’s it for?

Man 2: Well it’s a very versatile thing actually...it can serve a different purpose to different people...if that makes any sense…

Man 1:  It doesn’t, to be perfectly honest!  (Sounding skeptical)

Man 2:  Well…erm…ahem…it could make a great washing line…

Man 1:  You’re joking aren’t you…?

Man 2:  Or..or..or…you could put your satellite dish on the top of it and get great reception…

Man 1:  This is getting ridiculous…

Man 2:  OK, OK…it comes in handy if you ever need a giant T-shape for any reason…

Man 1:  You’re nuts!

Man 2:  I’m sure it must look that way..but you’d never understand…..sigh…anyway…you seem to be asking lots of questions..whats the big deal if I choose to carry around a big piece of wood…?

Man 1:  No big deal, mate.  I just thought you might be carrying a cross…you know…because you’re a Christian….Matthew 16 and all that…I’ve been thinking about becoming a Christian for a while but I’m looking for some guidance…but obviously I was mistaken..oh well…have to dash…bye!

Man 2 (to himself):  I think that could have gone better…Taxi!

No comments:

Post a Comment