Friday, May 4, 2012

A Sketch about the Apostle John

I didn't intend to start a series of posts about the Apostles but here are two in a row now!  At least I can confess that I did write this one, which is why it is nowhere near as good as the last post!  I wrote this when I was doing some thinking about why John called himself "the disciple that Jesus loved" and I will post something more serious on that one in the near future.

Scene:  A first century coffee house, (before Second Cup and Timothys became separate companies the chain was known as Second Timothy’s - you will have to be Canadian to appreciate that joke!)  The apostle John is there waiting for a chai latte.  In walks his friend Bill.

Bill:  Hi there John…haven’t seen you for a while.  What have you been up to?

John:  Oh hi Bill, yes its been a while.  I’ve been writing a book actually..and I have just finished it.

Bill:  Oh of course, I remember hearing about that.  Some sort of eye witness account of that Jesus bloke wasn’t it?  But isn’t there already 2 or 3 of those things already out there John?  Not going to sell very well is it?

John:  Actually Bill, I don’t plan to make any money out of it, that’s not what its about.  I want people to meet Jesus.

Bill:  Really? How odd! Well, have you managed to write a starring role for yourself at least, given you’ve written it?  Peter seemed to hog the limelight in the one I read and that villain Judas of course, the typical pantomime villain.

John:  Well to be quite honest Bill, I’ve kept myself a bit incognito in this one.  Actually, I don’t even mention my real name in the whole of the book.

Bill:  You’re kidding right?  Why on earth would you want to do that?

John: Well Bill, as I said, I want people to meet Jesus so the last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself

Bill:  Fair enough I suppose – so what name did you use.  Something mysterious or dramatic I hope – Boanerges, perhaps – Mr Thunder?

John:  Well it was a really tough decision in the end but the title I went for was….”the disciple who Jesus loved”

Bill:  You’re kidding now, right?  Are you insane?  The press are going to have a field day with that one.  You know all the rumours about David and Jonathon right?  What on earth possessed you to use that?

John:  Well if you read the book you’ll find out why I thought that was the most important thing that could ever be said about anybody. 

Bill:  I might just do that..whats the title of the book…

John:  errm…would you believe…The Gospel by John?

No comments:

Post a Comment